PRESS STATEMENT OF THE ALL INDIA GENERAL SECRETARY OF THE ALL INDIA POSTAL EXTRA DEPARTMENTAL EMPLOYEES UNOIN, CENTRAL HEAD QUARTERS NEW DELHI ON 16-10-2012
During 65 years after independence, the department of post has registered tremendous progress in rural areas through huge network or extra departmental Post offices. In the rural areas which represents a population ratio of 74.20% the postal development is much more phenomenal. A total number of 2.7 lacks of Gramin Dak Sevaks (ED Employees) are taking care of the postal needs of the population through 1,27,183 branch Post Offices. This represents 89.42% of total connectivity whereas the urban connectivity is about 10.58%. The statistical data for the past decades goes to demonstrate the vast growth of Rural Post Office and GDS staff. It is GDS who are actually running the country's postal services.
It is illegal and extremely unfair Labour practice to consider main workforce of the Postal Department providing 90% of Postal connectivity as "Extra Departmental". The whole system of maintaining lakhs of workers as Extra Departmental employees is itself illegal. Since overwhelming part of the postal services are run by them, almost 90%, they should immediately be departmentalized/made integral part of the Department and paid all benefits admissible to regular employees. They indeed are the real Postal workforce in the country running largest and one of the most efficient Postal services in the world. It is unjust to consider them as class apart from the regular employees. Time has come to undo the wrong done to the GDS and treat them as Central Govt. employees as ordered by the Supreme Court.
All the 2.7 lacks of Gramin Dak Sevaks (ED Employees) working throughout the country will go on an indefinite strike from 16.10.2012.The formal due strike notice was served to the Director General Department of Post New Delhi on 21.09.2012. The Charter of Demands of the strike is as follows:
1. Grant Status/Regularisation as government servant to GDS employees as recommended by Justic Talwar Committee. The Hon’ble Supreme Court of India in its land mark judgement date 22-04-1977 held that the Extra Departmental agents (now Gramin Dak Sevaks) are holders of civil posts. He is doing multifarious activities viz.,RPLI,Savings/NREG,Business etc. and most of the GDS are working more than 5 hours and it is high time to consider the demand.
2. Grant Bonus ceiling of Rs. 3500/- at par with Departmental staff. It is grass injustice and discrimination done to Gramin Dak Sevaks by denying Bonus ceiling of Rs. 3500/-.
3. Grant compassionate appointments in all cases by removing irrational conditions and restrictions/norms prescribed recently.
4. Scrap new recruitment rules of Postman/Mailguard and MTS. Restore the previous recruitment rules. The promotion from GDS to postmen and MTS is direct recruitment in the version of the department. Promotion under seniority quota should be restored.
5. Stop abolition of GDS posts and fill up of all vacant posts in all categories of GDS in postal and RMS offices.
6. Withdraw illegal order of reduction of TRCA of GDS. Protection of pay and right to life is the fundamental right. Implement Sri V.P. Singh, then D.D.G (Estt.) committee recommendations regarding cash handling points to BPMs, cash conveyance, Pay protection etc.
7. Implement immediately Restriya Swasthya Bhima Yojana (RSBY). The scheme has already been approved by the cabinet.
8. Grant immediate pro-rata revised scales to Casual labourers including part time and full time and MMC workers and restore DA which has been stopped for the last four years.
All the participants are insisted that the strike was inevitable since the Department of Post and the Central Government is much adamant to implement even the Hon’ble Supreme Court Verdicts and the reports of committees headed by Hon’ble retired Hight Court Judge Justice Talwar and others which was duly appointed by the Government
Gramin Dak Sevaks are on Indefinite Strike
2.7 lakhs Gramin Dak Sevaks are going on Indefinite Strike started from 16-10-2012 morning all over the country to achieve the following Charter of Demands. General Secretary of Gramin Dak Sevaks S.S. Mahadevaiah reported that 1,29,442 Branch Post offices are stand closed due to the indefinite strike. He urged the department to settle the justified demands of GDS immediately.
The News Editor,
For favour of publication in your worthy journal.